DeKalb, Illinois Fire Department news
Nearly 20 residents of Kimberly Apartments on DeKalb’s north side were displaced after an attic fire damaged seven units and caused an estimated $150,000 in damages Thursday, said DeKalb fire officials.
Emergency calls to DeKalb firefighters and paramedics reached record levels in 2021, adding to a decade-long trend that shows more are calling 911 for medical services, according to data released this week from the DeKalb Fire Department.
A woman and her cat were taken to nearby hospitals after an apartment fire in the Kimberly West Apartment complex in DeKalb Wednesday evening, confirmed Fire Chief Mike Thomas.
A third-floor stairway fire in a Kimberly Drive apartment building in DeKalb sent one resident to the hospital early Sunday morning.
Six DeKalb residents from two apartments were displaced after a fire at University Village Apartments on Russell Road, said DeKalb fire officials Friday.
A 4-year-old child from DeKalb was struck by a car Saturday night on North Annie Glidden Road in what DeKalb Police Chief David Byrd said Sunday appears to be an accidental incident.
A 26-year DeKalb Fire Department veteran was sworn in Monday as the next full-time chief after serving in the acting role since November. “I take very seriously the responsibility bestowed on me," Fire Chief Michael Thomas said.
DeKalb city leaders hope by Monday to have a new full-time fire chief: A familiar face in Michael Thomas, who’s served in the acting chief role since November.
DeKalb firefighters responded to a small carpet fire which started on the second floor stairwell of Husky Ridge Apartments on Kimberly Drive around 2 a.m. Tuesday, said Acting Fire Chief Mike Thomas.
Five DeKalb residents were displaced after a kitchen fire Sunday inside an apartment on Regent Drive, according to the DeKalb Fire Department.
Developing: A portion of Gurler Road was closed briefly Thursday morning as crews responded to a gas main leak, according to the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office.
DeKalb firefighters are inviting local businesses and gathering places, including places of worship, to apply for a grant program match to help supply heart defibrillators for emergency use.
A garage fire over the weekend on Grove Street in DeKalb caused about $75,000 in damages, according to DeKalb fire officials.
The death of a 73-year-old man from a garage fire a month ago on Sixth Street in DeKalb was ruled accidental, according to DeKalb County Coroner officials, who said Wednesday the man died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
One resident is without a home after a fire inside an apartment at Oak Crest retirement center in DeKalb Saturday, according to DeKalb fire officials.