Crime & Courts

Man violates no-contact order, sentenced to jail for 90 days

East Dundee man faces felony charges in Kane County, new harassment charge from McHenry County

ST. CHARLES – An East Dundee man who was charged with felony violation of a no-contact order is now serving a 90-day jail sentence after a Kane County judge revoked his probation for contacting yet another person he was supposed to stay away from.

Kane County Judge Reginald Campbell sentenced Raymond M. Yarem, 65, of the 400 block of King Avenue, East Dundee, on May 20, following a hearing. Prosecutors filed a petition to revoke Yarem’s bail because he violated its terms by having contact with a protected party on May 5, court records show.

The petition states that Yarem “loudly said ‘(the protected party) is a drunk’ while standing outside her residence.”

The terms of his bond required him to have no direct or indirect contact with her and anther protected party, and not to have contact with the complaining witnesses through a third party, nor to go to their address, court records show.

Yarem will have to serve at least 45 days of his 90-day sentence, as he will get day-for-day credit for time served, court records show.

The complaint in this case was filed July 19, 2020, to which Yarem pleaded guilty Aug. 3 and was sentenced to 24 months of conditional discharge until Aug. 3, 2022, records.

That case was combined with two others, from Feb. 6, 2020 and July 25, 2020 in which Yarem also pleaded guilty, court records show.

In all those cases, Yarem was supposed to have no contact with nine people at six addresses until Aug. 3, 2022, according to court records.

Yarem now also faces a McHenry County charge of telephone harassment, filed May 14. The complaint alleges he called and harassed the victim at her home and at her job, even after Crystal Lake police warned him not to have contact with her, court records show.

All the charges against Yarem are misdemeanors until Sept. 1, 2020, when he was charged with a felony after he and the couple who had the order of protection against him were leaving a Kane County courtroom, a sheriff’s report stated.

“Due to the statements Raymond made in the hallway, they had felt harassed, threatened and in fear,” the sheriff’s report stated. They “requested Raymond leave the area of the hallway, Raymond didn’t need to be right next to them. (They) had felt threatened enough to have (to) contact court security.”

A bench trial in that case is scheduled for July 9.