LA GRANGE – The Lyons Township High School SAVE (Students Against Violence Everywhere) Promise Club launches a week-long initiative called Start With Hello.
The Start With Hello program brings attention to the growing epidemic of social isolation in schools and communities and empowers young people to create a culture of inclusion and connectedness within their school, a news release stated.
In three simple steps, Start With Hello teaches students to reach out and include those who may be dealing with social isolation, and who might be at risk or harming themselves or others.
1. See someone alone
2. Reach out and help
3. Start With Hello
The period of Sept. 20-24 is Start With Hello week at LT and at high schools nationwide. LT announces its Start With Hello schedule:
• Monday – Start With Hello videos: Lunchtime videos highlight the three easy steps to Start With Hello.
• Tuesday – Lemonade giveaway to all students before school. Meet outside the entrances of both campuses, grab a glass of lemonade, chat, and say hello to new and old friends.
• Wednesday – Start With Hello challenge: The SAVE club challenges every LT student to reach out and say hello to someone new. Add a photo of you saying hello to your social media post using #Experience LT.
• Thursday – Be a lifesaver when you Start With Hello: SAVE club joins with Student Services to pass out ribbons and information for Suicide Prevention Month.
• Friday – Wear your SAVE T-shirt or a green shirt to support Sandy Hook Promise and the SAVE club.
The SAVE Promise Club is a student-run club associated with the Sandy Hook Promise organization, a national nonprofit founded and led by family members whose children were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012. The main focus of SHP is to prevent gun violence and other forms of violence before it happens by educating and mobilizing schools, parents and communities on mental health and wellness programs that identify, intervene and help at-risk individuals.
SAVE Promise Club is a place for young people across the country to show their leadership, creativity and passion for protecting their friends, schools and communities from violence before it happens. The LT SAVE Promise Club was founded in 2018, shortly after the shootings at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
For more information on the LT SAVE club, visit the club page on the LT website, and follow it on Instagram at lthssave.