1) Take part in the Plainfield Park District’s Cardboard Boat Regatta from 7 to 8 p.m. Friday. Build a boat out of cardboard and duct tape and then “test its sea worthiness,” a news release from the park district said. The event will be held at he Ottawa Street Pool, located at 23820 W. Ottawa St. in Plainfield. Awards categories include fastest boat, most team spirit, and best design. Cost is $10 per team. Admission for spectators is free. For event rules and more information, visit ow.ly/WcbH50FzeeS.
2) If you missed the Joliet Drama’s Guild last weekend, you can still see it this weekend. Take the family out to see “The SpongeBob Musical” at the Billie Limacher Park and Theatre, located at 201 W. Jefferson St. in Joliet. Show times are 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $18 for adults and $15 for kids and seniors. Purchase tickets by calling 815-715-8881 or emailing email@example.com. For more information, visit thejolietdramaguild.com.
3) The Mokena Park Distrist is hosting its annual “Farm and Barn” fest from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Yunker Park, located at 10824 W. La Porte Road in Mokena. Parking and admission is free. Demonstrations, entertainment kids activities and old-fashioned contests will he from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The outdoor flea market will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A country concert will be from 5 to 11 p.m. Performers are Artists CK and The Gray (5 to 7:30 p.m.) and the Ethan Bell Band (8 to 11 p.m.). Food and beverages available all day and evening. Admission and parking to the festival is free. For festival information, call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
4) Also on Saturday, the Joliet Area Historical Museum is hosting “The Bash at the Big House” at the Old Joliet Prison, located at 1125 Collins St. in Joliet. Features include music by Chicago Farmer & The Fieldnotes, The Big Lagniappe, John Condron & The Old Gang Orchestra, Phoebe Hunt, J Ross Green Band, Laney Jones, Alex Hoffer, Cheryl Rodey Band, Vaudevileins, Nashville Up-And-Comers, Crooked Tails and Tim Placher & Friends’ Jailhouse Jam. Other features include food trucks, farmers market, live art demonstrations, self-guided tours, Bluesmobile display and a Kids Korner. Tickets are $20 for ages 13 and up. Ages 12 and under are free. Purchase tickets at eventbrite.com.
5) The Morilee U.S. Open of Water Skiing will start this Sunday from 7 am. to 7 p.m. at Waters Edge Estates in Wilmington (of Peotone Road and Route 53) and continue through Aug. 14. The event will include water skiiers from across the U.S. competing in their age group. Free admission. Bring blanket for folding chair. For more information, visit usopenofwaterskiing.com.
Would you like your event featured in this weekly feature? The first step is submitting your events to The Herald-News’ community calendar at shawlocal.com/the-herald-news/local-events where they are then considered for inclusion in this feature.