Community

Dixon Fire Department responds to Somkit kitchen fire

DIXON – A member of Somkit’s staff used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in the restaurant’s kitchen Monday morning.

Dixon City Fire Department was dispatched at 10:29 a.m. Monday to Somkit, a restaurant that serves Thai and Japanese food, at 214 W. First St., according to a news release issued Tuesday.

The restaurant remains closed while it cleans up to meet health regulations, according to an answering machine message and a notice on its Facebook page.

The building was evacuated when crews arrived, at which time smoke was coming from the kitchen area. By then, most of the fire already had been extinguished by an employee. DFD crew completed the fire suppression and cleared the building of smoke.

Fire department officials reported no injuries from the fire, which had started while cooking food. The fire department left at 11:20 a.m.

The Dixon Rural Fire Department, Dixon Police Department and Advance EMS joined the Dixon City Fire Department in responding to the incident.