Oswego museum hosts tours of town barns on Sundays, Sept. 19 and Oct. 3

Have you ever noticed the barns tucked behind homes in residential areas in and around Oswego’s downtown? Curious about them? Find out all about them during “Oswego History Walk - Downtown Barns,” on Sundays, Sept. 19 and Oct. 3. The Sept. 19 walk begins at noon, while the Oct. 3 walk starts at 2 p.m.

The walks will be led by Oswegoland Heritage Association board members Ted Clauser and Linda Heap Dean, assisted by the Oswegoland Park District’s Shawna Sullivan.

Many people think barns can only be found on the area’s farms. But town barns were once important to urban residents in the 19th and early 20th centuries before the advent of automobiles. Town barns housed family cows, horses, and chickens, and even stored buggies and sleighs. Learn about the history of in-town barns while visiting the sites of several of the vintage structures still standing in and near Oswego’s historic downtown.

Pre-registration with the Oswegoland Park District, $5 per person, is required for this program aimed at participants 16 and older by referencing program #21083 when calling 630-554-1010 or visiting their website, oswegolandparkdistrict.org/. Space is limited for this walk co-hosted by the Oswegoland Heritage Association and the park district. The walk will be held outdoors starting at the Little White School Museum, 72 Polk Street, and participants should be able to comfortably walk for approximately one hour. The October walk will duplicate the September walk.

For more information, call the Little White School Museum, 630-554-2999, or send an email to info@littlewhiteschoolmuseum.org.