SYCAMORE – During the holiday season, the Sycamore Fire Department will continue its’ annual firehouse tradition of the Red Wreath program starting Thanksgiving Day.
Both Sycamore fire stations 1 and 2 will be displaying a wreath on the front of the buildings starting Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 25, and ending on Jan. 2, 2022.
The wreath is a challenge to Sycamore residents to keep the lights red. Should a fire occur in Sycamore that involves a holiday-related activity, a bulb in the wreath will be changed from red to white. The purpose of the challenge is to remind everyone that the happiness of the holiday season can be changed in an instant by a fire.
Last year, Sycamore Fire Department reported no holiday-related incidents.
A few reminders for a safe holiday season include:
· Keep hydrants clear and accessible to the fire department. Please do not place anything around the hydrants, such as garbage cans, snow, etc. that could interfere with a quick response from the fire department during an emergency.
· If you use a turkey fryer, use it outdoors where there are no objects nearby that could catch fire. Use extreme caution, as personal injury could still occur.
· Inspect all illuminated decorations to make sure they are in safe working order. Some things to check for included frayed wires or open light sockets. Use only exterior-approved cords outdoors. Extension cords should not be run under throw rugs or carpet.
· Keep live Christmas trees watered. If your tree is beginning to dry out, limit the use of Christmas lights. Always turn illuminated decorations off prior to leaving your house.
· Make sure your fireplace is in good working condition and your chimney is free of obstructions or creosote build-up. Remember, do not burn garbage in the fireplace such as gift wrap or mail.
· Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Keep at least 12 inches of space between the candles and any objects.
· Make sure your smoke detectors are all in working order. If you did not change your batteries when you changed your clocks for daylight savings time, change them now.
For more information on holiday safety, contact the Sycamore Fire Department at 815-895-4514, or visit us on Facebook at City of Sycamore Fire Department for occasional postings.