Crime & Courts

Chicago man arrested after nine hours of negotiations at Holiday Inn Express, police say

Chicago man wanted on arrest warrant for parole violation tied to charge of sexual exploitation of a child

A Chicago man was arrested Wednesday evening at the Holiday Inn Express in Algonquin after police say he resisted being taken into custody for nine hours.

Algonquin police were called at 10:53 a.m. Wednesday to the hotel at 2595 Bunker Hill Drive for a “report of suspicious activity,” according to a news release sent by the department.

When officers arrived on scene, they discovered a hotel guest, LaBurron Jackson, 37, whose last known address is in Chicago, was wanted on a felony arrest warrant for a parole violation tied to an underlying charge of sexual exploitation of a minor, according to another release sent Wednesday evening.

When officers attempted to contact Jackson, he refused to answer his hotel room door, police said in the release.

“[He] told officers that [he wasn’t] going to come peacefully,” Deputy Police Chief Markham told the Northwest Herald. “[He] didn’t open the door.”

Members of the Algonquin Police Department secured the scene and Jackson was contained to his hotel room, according to the release. The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office’s SWAT and Hostage Negotiation Team responded and assisted with tactical operations and negotiations. Both SWAT negotiators and social workers spoke with Jackson for several hours to convince him to surrender, according to the release.

When this failed to work, McHenry County SWAT members deployed oleoresin capsicum spray, better known as pepper spray, into the room, police said.

Jackson was taken into custody at 8:12 p.m. No weapons were recovered, Markham said.

Nearby Harry D. Jacobs High School was put under a “shelter-in-place,” earlier in the day, Algonquin-based Community School District 300 spokesperson Anthony McGinn said, and no one was able to exit or enter the building during that time. The school was dismissed at its normal time.

Families of Jacobs students were notified at the beginning of the shelter-in-place of what was happening, McGinn said. In the message, the district noted there was no threat or incident inside the high school and the shelter-in-place was implemented as a precaution.

No officers or members of the public were harmed during the incident, police said.