Welcome to The Herald-News’ Will County Inside/Outside Guide. Each week, Features Editor Denise M. Baran-Unland (@Denise_Unland61) highlights a few ideas for you to enjoy your weekend in Will County.
The I&M Canal National Heritage Area is hosting a 35th Anniversary Passport contest.
It’s really easy to participate, too. Simply pick up a free passport at any of the 35 participating locations listed below or contact the Canal Corridor Association to have one mailed to you.
Then visit these 35 “historic, natural, and cultural sites” according to a news release from the organizers. Make sure you get your passport stamped for prizes and a drawing. The program is free to participate.
When your passport is full, returm them to the Canal Corridor Association at 754 First Street, LaSalle to claim the prizes, which will be processed after the close of the contest.
For more information about the passports, sites and contest rules, visit iandmcanal.org/passport.
The 35 participating sites are:
1. McCormick Bridgehouse and Chicago River Museum • 376 N Michigan Ave., Chicago
2. Canal Origins Park • 2701 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago
3. Chicago Maritime Museum • 1200 W. 35th St., Chicago
4. National Museum of Mexican Art • 1852 W. 19th St., Chicago
5. DuSable Museum of African American History • 740 E. 56th Pl., Chicago
6. Pullman National Monument • 11141 S. Cottage Grove Ave., Chicago
7. Little Red Schoolhouse Nature Center • 9800 Willow Springs Road, Willow Springs
8. St. James at Sag Bridge • 10600 S. Archer Ave., Lemont
9. Old Stone Church & Lemont Area Historical Society • 306 Lemont St., Lemont
10. Historic Downtown Lemont • 112 Stephen St., Lemont
11. Isle la a Cache Museum • 501 E. Romeo Road, Romeoville
12. Will County Historical Museum & Research Center • 803 S. State St., Lockport
13. The Gaylord Building • 200 W. 8th St., Lockport
14. Illinois State Museum, Lockport Gallery • 201 W. 10th St., Lockport
15. Historic Downtown Lockport • 201 West 10th St., Lockport
16. Joliet Area Historical Museum • 204 N. Ottawa St., Joliet
17. Joliet Architecture & Art Walking Tour Self-Guided Tour • Joliet
18. Intersection of Rt 66 & Lincoln Hwy • Cass Street and Chicago Street, Joliet
19. Old Joliet Prison • 1125 Collins St., Joliet
20. Four Rivers Environmental Education Center • 25055 W. Walnut Lane, Channahon
21. USDA Forest Service-Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie • 30239 S. State Route 53, Wilmington
22. Carbon Hill School Museum • 875 N. Second St., Carbon Hill
23. Goose Lake Prairie State Natural Area • 15010 N. Jugtown Road, Morris
24. Historic Downtown Morris • Liberty St. & Illinois Ave., Morris
25. Grundy County Historical Museum • 510 W. Illinois Ave., Morris
26. Seneca Area Heritage Museum/Hogan Grain Elevator • 431 N. Main St., Seneca
27. Reddick Mansion • 100 W. Lafayette St., Ottawa
28. First Lincoln Douglas Debate Site • 1028 LaSalle St., Ottawa
29. LaSalle County Historical Society • 101 E. Canal St., North Utica
30. Illinois Waterway Visitor Center • 950 N. 27th Road, Ottawa
31. I & M Canal Boat • Route 351 & I&M Canal, LaSalle
32. Hegeler Carus Mansion • 1307 7th St., LaSalle
33. Historic Downtown LaSalle • 754 1st St., LaSalle
34. I & M Canal Visitor Center • 754 1st St., LaSalle
35. Westclox Museum • 350 5th St., Peru
Thoughts? Drop me a line at email@example.com.