Man out on bond for attempted murder charged by Elburn police with possessing loaded gun

ELBURN – A Waterman resident who was out on bond after being charged in January with attempted murder was charged by Elburn police early Thursday morning with possession of a firearm with a revoked Firearm Owner's Identification card.

Frank E. Ryan, 33, of Waterman, was also charged with two additional felony charges of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. In addition, he was charged with a felony count of violation of bail bond.

He is being held in the Kane County Jail on a $1 million bail. The investigation is ongoing.

At approximately 2:56 a.m. Thursday, Elburn police officers were dispatched to a report of a suspicious incident and motorist assist in the area of Paul and Hicks streets, according to a news release from the Elburn Police Department. A tow truck driver called police after he had been contacted to remove a vehicle that was stuck in the mud at the edge of a field north of this location, the release stated.

Upon arrival, officers met with the subject, who identified himself as Ryan, according to the release. The officers handling the call were aware that Frank Ryan had previously been arrested by the department and was out on bond after being charged with attempted murder.

Officers continued their investigation at the scene and found a loaded weapon in Ryan's vehicle, the release stated. Ryan's FOID card had been revoked following the attempted murder charges in January.

The Kane County State's Attorney's Office has alleged that early in the morning of Jan. 19, Ryan rerouted a natural gas line into a home on Elburn's Downing Street, filling the house with gas. Prosecutors said Ryan drilled a hole in the exposed gas line outside the house and another through the home's exterior wall.

Ryan connected a tube to the gas line and inserted the other end of the tube through the hole in the wall and into the home's interior, prosecutors said.

There were two persons in the house at the time, prosecutors said. The homeowner discovered the tube and called 911. There were no injuries.

Prosecutors said the previous day, Ryan purchased materials used to divert the gas line. They further allege that Ryan covered the home's doorbell camera with duct tape.