Broken freezer catches fire, causes $1M in damage to Morris Menards

A fire at the Menards in Morris cost the home improvement store at least $1 million over the weekend.

A malfunctioning deep freezer caught fire about 4 a.m. Sunday, igniting several racks of dry goods in the process, Morris Fire Chief Tracey Steffes said. The store’s sprinkler system was activated, and contained the blaze until fire crews were able to completely extinguish it.

Because of the building’s size, a large amount of manpower was needed to put out the fire, Steffes said. Smoke had filled the store from floor to ceiling.

No one was injured in the incident, Steffes said.

The blaze caused about $1 million in damage so far, and the store was closed Sunday. It reopened Monday.