For that sense of nostalgia and family tradition, certain aromas and flavors always do the trick.
The strawberry jelly at the diner might be good, but is it as amazing as the preserves that Grandma used to make? No way. Fresh asparagus is delicious but something about those pickled asparagus pieces just made for the perfect snack the last time you had them.
Late summer means it’s prime harvest time for several crops in Illinois. Farmers, and families like yours are starting to can their produce about this time of year, and there is no better way to preserve many fruits and vegetables for a variety of uses.
Canning can be a bit of a challenge for beginners, but it’s a much easier process when you have the right products. At Ace Hardware of Dixon, you’ll find the best products for your canning projects, so they’ll turn out perfect year after year.
Here are some of the most common canning tools you’ll need.
Types of Canners
Water bath canners – these are best used for acidic foods like pickles, tomatoes, or some jams and jellies.
Pressure canners – These are multipurpose canners used for many other things: Asparagus, green beans, corn, soup, etc.
Proper jars make all the difference
There are several sizes of jars, so the ones you’ll need will depend on what you’re jarring and the portions you want.
- ½ Gallon jars are great for preserved juice or dried goods.
- Quarts work well for fruit, tomato sauce, salsas, soup, and other vegetables.
- ½ Pints are ideal for jams and jellies, or smaller portions of sauces and soups.
- ¼ Pints are smaller, so they work well for condiments like ketchup, mustard, or small jams.
In addition to the canners and jars, there are two other very important tools to help make your canning and jarring projects go much smoother.
- Funnels: These will prevent any liquid from spilling.
- Jar lifters: These are specially designed to safely lift hot jars from the canner.
For more information on canning and canning products, visit our website or call us at 815-288-7841.
Ace Hardware & Outdoor Center
900 N Galena Ave
Dixon, IL 61021