Does a bouquet of fresh-cut roses appeal to you? Why not celebrate National Rose Month this June by adding this classic flower to your own garden? Whether growing roses for cut flowers or sitting amongst them with family, friends, neighbors, their fragrance, colors and styles are spectacular.
Countryside Flower Shop, Nursery and Garden Center offers these tips for growing your own roses this summer season:
1. Plant in a full sun area. Roses need at least six hours of sunlight a day.
2. Avoid overhead watering as wet foliage can lead to the formation of powdery mildew. Water your rose bushes around the base and only water in the morning, never late in the day.
3. To ward off insects and diseases, use a systemic insecticide/fungicide.
4. Fertilize twice monthly during the growing season, May through August.
5. Stop all fertilizing and pruning at the beginning of September.
6. Before the ground freezes, mound soil around the base of the rose bush 8″ deep using Rose Collars for winter protection.
7. In March, once the chance of a hard freeze has passed, pull back the mounded soil and trim any black canes back down to the healthy green/brown.
Additionally, celebrate the fruits of your labor by remembering to “take time to smell the roses.”
Countryside Flower Shop, Nursery and Garden Center has grown several varieties of rose bushes for your gardening pleasure. Stop by and let the professional staff assist you in choosing just the right ones for your landscape needs.
Countryside Flower Shop, Nursery & Garden Center : 5301 E. Terra Cotta Ave (Rte 176), Crystal Lake, IL : 815.459.8130 : www.countrysideflowershop.com