Local News

No injuries in fire on Ottawa’s west side

Firefighters said cigarette caused the fire

An Ottawa resident is OK after his bedroom caught fire Thursday morning.

The resident at 419 1/2 Locust St. told Ottawa firefighters he had a cigarette in his bedroom and when he finished smoking he placed the finished cigarette next to his bed. He said he then walked to the kitchen, and after a few moments, he could smell burning and discovered a fire in his room near where he placed the cigarette. The resident tired to extinguish the fire himself, but was unable to.

Firefighters extinguished the fire shortly after arrival at 7:26 a.m. Thursday, containing the fire to the back bedroom where it started. The resident, who is the only that lives at the home, had evacuated the single-story house to his front yard. Smoke and heat damage occurred at the house, Ottawa firefighters said.

The fire was determined to be accidental from “misuse of smoking materials.”