The Oswego Police Department has announced that no charges will be filed against either of the two people involved in a fight at an Oswego Portillo’s restaurant last month.
Oswego police concluded that an 18-year-old Black employee at the restaurant at 2810 Route 34 and a 48-year-old Asian customer “admit that they were verbally and physically aggressive towards each other” and that no video exists of the fight’s beginning, according to a Thursday, June 17 press release.
No racial remarks were made between the two men during the May 16 incident in the restaurant’s drive thru lane, police said, and “multiple statements indicate the employee told the customer to exit his vehicle.”
Both subjects sustained injuries in the fight, according to police. The employee was treated at a local hospital, while the customer declined treatment at the scene.
“The Oswego Police Department has remained committed to conducting a thorough investigation to ensure we obtain all information made available in order to have a complete understanding as to what occurred during the incident,” Oswego Police Chief Jeff Burgner said in the press release. “We appreciate the patience of the individuals involved in the incident as well as our community while we conducted our investigation.”
Oswego police submitted their report to the Kendall County State’s Attorney office earlier this month.
The fight sparked local outrage, with the employee’s parents pleading with the Oswego Village Board for justice in the case during a meeting last month.
The employee’s father maintained at the village board meeting that he would have been arrested had he been involved in the fight.