Four incumbent school board members for Oswego School District 308 will not seek re-election as a crop of new candidates have filed for next April’s consolidated election.
Filing ended on Monday, Dec. 21 for the upcoming local election, and a majority of District 308′s current board did not submit their names for the race. The board members include board vice-president Matt Bauman, Brent Lightfoot, Toni Morgan and Heather Moyer.
Those seats are now up for grabs for the seven candidates who have filed.
Candidates who have filed with the Kendall County Clerk for next election are as follows:
- Keisha Earl, a real estate agent, of 135 Willowwood Drive N. in Oswego
- Eugene L. Gatewood, a Boilingbrook pastor, of 1958 Congrove Drive in Aurora
- Katie Heiden, an Oswego parent, of 73 Garfield Street in Oswego
- Jennifer Johnson, of 4610 McLaren Drive in Oswego
- Donna Marino, a psychologist, of 2062 Whitethorn Drive in Aurora
- LaTonya Simelton, Oswego 308′s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator, of 428 Bayberry Drive in Oswego
- Eulalia Valdez, former Oswego 308 Director of English Learners, of 514 Rosebush Lane in Oswego
Simelton, as a current employee of the district, will likely have to resign her position as diversity coordinator should she win a school board seat. Under state law, a school board member cannot work for the district if their contract is worth more than $1,000, according to the Illinois Council of School Attorneys.
Illinois’ consolidated general election will take place April 6.