SPRING VALLEY — The Hall High School Board last Wednesday swore in two returning board members, Betsy Sobin and John Picatto, and thanked Marty Herrmann for his four terms on the board, as the board reorganized.
Mike Morris is the new board president, Joe Bezely is vice president and Rich Savitch is board delegate.
The board will need to fill the other seat which was left vacant when Herrmann did not seek re-election and no one else ran for the seat.
Applicants for the board vacancy must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age, a registered voter, must not be a child sex offender, must not hold another incompatible public office, must not have a prohibited interest in any conflict with the district and a resident of Illinois and has lived in the district for at least one year immediately preceding the appointment.
Applicants should show familiarity with the board’s policies regarding general duties and responsibilities of a board and a board member, including fiduciary responsibilities, conflicts of interest, ethics and gift ban. The board’s policies are available on the school district’s website under district content. Mail or drop off to the school office, a letter of interest, resume and any other pertinent information by May 12.
In other news:
• The board awarded the contract for the football stadium lighting improvements project to JB Contracting Corporation of Peru in the amount of $315,177. Award amount is based on the base bid for the stadium lighting of $305,677, plus the second bid in the amount of $9,500 for asphalt.
• The board of education meeting schedule was adopted with meetings scheduled for the third Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m., except for September which was moved to the fourth Wednesday so the budget is on display for the 30 days needed.
• Fees for the 2021-22 school year were set with no increase.
• The board hired the following: Mike Filippini as the summer drivers education teacher, Nick Hanck as summer Driver Education Behind the Wheel Instructor, Ann Maller as summer school English teacher, Taylor Stacy as summer school math teacher and Patti Lunn as summer school aide.
• Graduation was set for Sunday, May 16, at 1 p.m. on the football field. Each graduate will be given six tickets. In case of inclement weather, graduation will be held inside and each student will be given four tickets.
The next school board meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 19, at 6 p.m.