Stay informed with Shaw Local's Election Central. Research your ballot, where the candidates stand on the issues and set yourself up with a reminder to vote.
The Will County Deputy Sheriffs Union recently endorsed several local candidates running for federal, state and county offices.
Will County Sheriff’s detective James Eiden, who is the president of the union, explained that the members chose candidates who make public safety a priority.
“Public safety is a major priority for voters as well as our membership,” Eiden said in a statement. “We are committed to keeping our communities safe. We offer our support to candidates that have stood by law enforcement officers in the past, present and will continue to do so in the future.”
Eiden also said the union wants leaders who denounced the so-called “defund the police” movement, which is a slogan many anti-racist activists have used, although it can have different meanings.
He said the union members carefully consider a candidate’s qualifications, records and responses to questions before making an endorsement.
The following is a list of candidates the union endorsed:
• Republican Mike Fricilone for the 3rd Congressional District
• Republican Rick Laib for the 11th Congressional District
• Republican Jim Oberweis for the 14th Congressional District
• Republican Ben Bierly for Illinois Senate District 43
• Republican Tom McCullagh for Illinois Senate District 49
• Republican Tim Ozinga for Illinois House District 37
• Republican Mark Batinick for Illinois House District 97
• Democrat Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant for Will County Executive
• Democrat Andrea Lynn Chasteen for Will County Circuit Clerk
• Democrat Laurie Summers for Will County Coroner
• Democrat Duffy Blackburn for Will County Auditor
• Democrat Karen Stukel for Will County Recorder of Deeds
• Republican Amy Perez for Will County Board District 1
• Republican Raquel Mitchell for Will County Board District 3
• Republican Frankie Pretzel for Will County Board District 12
• Democrat Mark Ferry for Will County Board District 13
• Republican Debbie Kraulidis for Will County Board District 13
The general election is Nov. 3.
For more local news, visit The Herald-News at https://www.theherald-news.com.