Khalil Mack photo by USA TODAY Sports
Khalil Mack photo by USA TODAY Sports

The Bears offense woke up in the second half for a 19-14 win over the New York Giants on Sunday at Soldier Field.


1. Following a woeful first half, offensively, the Bears turned it around after halftime. On the first possession after the break, QB Mitchell Trubisky and the offense marched 60 yards in just under three minutes and scored a touchdown to take the lead, 10-7. WR Allen Robinson scored a 32-yard touchdown on a pass from Trubisky. After struggling throughout the first half, the Bears finally showed some life.

2. While LB Khalil Mack was held out of the box score in last week’s loss to the Rams, he made his best play in several weeks on Sunday. Mack had a strip sack in the third quarter, which was recovered by DL Nick Williams at the Giants’ 3-yard line. It set up a 2-yard touchdown run for Trubisky.

3. The Bears defense came up with one last stop on fourth down with the Giants deep in their own territory. Prince Amukamara broke up a fourth-down pass to seal the win. Moments earlier, Giants QB Daniel Jones had found WR Golden Tate for a 23-yard touchdown on fourth down to bring New York within 19-14 with 4:17 to play.


1. Pressure up front: The Bears defensive front continually pressured Jones. By attracting the attention of multiple linemen, Mack created created holes for his teammates. Mack had his strip sack in the third quarter that set up the Bears at the Giants’ 3-yard line. Giants running back Saquon Barkley failed to get much going on the ground.

2. No. 1 receiver: Robinson had one of his best games of the season. He caught six passes for 131 yards with a touchdown. He was especially effective in the second half, hauling in catches of 23 yards and 32 yards on the Bears scoring drive after halftime, and making another catch for 49 yards later in the third quarter. WR Anthony Miller had a nice game, too, making six catches for 77 yards.

3. Healthy QB: Trubisky’s hip injury did not appear to bother him on Sunday. The much talked about hip pointer kept him out of the final possession last week against the Rams. Only once Sunday, after taking a hit early in the game, did Trubisky show any visible signs of issues. Even then, he walked it off between plays and seemed to be fine the rest of the game.


1. First-half miscues: First there was a Trubisky interception in the end zone. He threw into heavy coverage and simply shouldn’t have thrown the ball. Later, there was a penalty flag for illegal hands to the face called on center Cody Whitehair. The penalty against Whitehair came on a huge completion from Trubisky to Robinson that would have gone down as one of the Bears’ best offensive plays of the season, if not for the penalty. Instead it sent them backward.

2. Extra point mayhem: A strange series of events following Trubisky’s third-quarter touchdown run had fans scratching their heads. First, coach Matt Nagy burned a timeout before the two-point try. The Bears completed the attempt but drew a penalty for offensive pass interference. They elected to take the penalty yards on the extra point try, but a 12-men on the field penalty sent them back further. All in all, it added up to a 48-yard missed extra point try by Eddy Pineiro.

3. More O-line shuffling: OL Bobby Massie left the game in the third quarter with an ankle injury. The right tackle is one of the Bears’ most experienced linemen. The line is already without Kyle Long, and already playing with two relatively inexperienced linemen.


The Bears meet the Detroit Lions at 11:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day at Ford Field in Detroit. The Bears won the first matchup, 20-13, on Nov. 10.