The Bettendorf Castle will host its annual Easter egg hunt at 10 a.m. April 20, said Michael Strohl, who owns the Fox River Grove property at 418 Concord Ave.
Tickets are $45 for children 11 and younger and $35 for attendees 12 and older. Admission includes:
• Transportation from the Stonehill Shopping Center to the Bettendorf Castle
• A meet-and-greet with princesses from Fairytale Celebrations
• Balloons by Andrew from Kidz magic
• A visit with Soul Harbor Ranch Therapy mini horses
• Complimentary refreshments
• Two egg hunts on the castle grounds
• A visit with the Easter bunny
• A 2019 Bettendorf Castle Egg Hunt T-shirt for each child (Those ages 12 and older will not be permitted to participate in the egg hunts and will not receive a T-shirt.)
• Transportation from the Bettendorf Castle back to the Stonehill Shopping Center
Tickets are on sale online through ticketbud.com. Proceeds will go toward restoration of the castle, Strohl said.
"You own a castle, and all you do is pay for repairs," Strohl said. "That's the way it's been for us the last
In August 2018, Fox River Grove officials approved a special permit for the owner of Bettendorf Castle to give public tours of the McHenry County landmark.
After some debate and discussion about what behavior the permit would allow, trustees voted, 4-2, to grant the permit.
The permit limits tours to between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., with a maximum capacity of 60 people. The castle also is allowed to host holiday events for Easter with a maximum capacity of 200 people.
In 2013, the Village Board adopted an ordinance that requires people who give home tours to obtain a special use permit.
The last time the Bettendorf Castle owner applied for a permit, in 2011, problems regarding parking arose, and the request was withdrawn.