1) Lewis University will host a 9/11 20th Anniversary Commemoration at 2 p.m. Sept. 9 at its Convocation Hall in Romeoville. Among the speakers will be Lewis University alum Eric Wilson of WTVO in Rockford as emcee and Brother Ed Arambasich, fire chaplain for Joliet Fire Department, as the keynote speaker. Arambasich helped with the cleanup and search and provided comfort and care at ground zero after the attacks.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Vesna Markovic, chair of Lewis University’s department of justice, law and public safety studies at 815- 836-5502 or VMarkovic@lewisu.edu or the Lewis University Military Education Resource Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) The debut show of “Skip Griparis Meets the Beatles!” will be held 7 p.m. Friday at the Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park and Theatre bandshell, 201 W. Jefferson St. in Joliet. Special guest is Jim Alberico. Bring blankets and chairs for hill seating. Show will be moved indoors if weather turns inclement. Tickets are $10 for all ages. Concessions and cash bar available. Purchase tickets by visiting bicentennialpark.org. Tickets also available at the park office and at the gate.
3) Take a “City Birds Hike” from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at Hammel Woods – DuPage River Access, Shorewood. Free, all ages. Register by Sept. 9 at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
4) The Lockport Township Park District will host the first Military History Weekend at 9:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at Dellwood Park, 199 E. Woods Drive, in Lockport. Features include re-enactments and uniformed re-enactors from the Civil War, World War II and Vietnam, along with equipment and vehicles of the periods and pyrotechnics during the Vietnam battle sponsored by Hanson Material Service.
There will also be photo ops, Fortunate Sons (Creedence Clearwater Revival Tribute Band), Rockford Peaches Baseball Game, Sweet Reminder (covers the Andrew Sisters), music and dance lessons of the era, concessions, beer bunker, memorabilia and vendors of the time period, veteran hospitality tent from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in the beer garden.
Tickets are $10 for adults $10 and $5 for children 12 years and younger, seniors 55 and older and veterans. Purchase at lockportpark.org. Helicopter rides on a U-H-1H “Huey” or AF-1F “Cobra” may be purchased with onsite registration or online at armyav.org.
5) The Mokena Park District will hold “Woofstock” from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Yunker Park, 10824 La Porte Road in Mokena. Pet parade (with prizes) at 1:30 p.m. (free registration at 1 p.m. All animals welcome). Also entertainment and free canine contests (registration is 1 to 2 p.m.). Pets must be vaccinated. Dogs must be on a leash. For more information, call the Mokena Park District at 708-390-2401or visit mokenapark.com.
Would you like your event featured in this weekly feature? The first step is submitting your events to The Herald-News’ community calendar at shawlocal.com/the-herald-news/local-events where they are then considered for inclusion in this feature.