1) Homer Community Fest opens 3 p.m. Thursday and continues through Sunday. Features include carnival, live music, beer tent, food vendors as well as the Homer Township Annual Independence Day Parade at 11 a.m. Saturday. For more information, visit homerfest.com.
2) Come out to one of the four visitor’s centers at the Forest Preserve District of Will County and see a national touring quilt exhibit designed to raise awareness of endangered species, locally and internationally.
Quilts are available for viewing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays (except for Sugar Creek Administration Center, which is closed).
The following locations have quilts on exhibit: Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, 25055 W. Walnut Lane, Channahon; Isle a la Cache Museum, 501 E. Romeo Road/135th Street, Romeoville; Plum Creek Nature Center, 27064 S. Dutton Road, Crete Township; and Sugar Creek Administration Center, 17540 W. Laraway Road, Joliet. For more information, call 815-727-8700 or visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
3) Ladies: come out to a free, open art night from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday night at Legacy Vineyard Church, located at 315 E. 11th St. in Lockport. This gathering provides a safe place to create. Limited art supplies will be available. Feel free to bring your own projects, ideas and snacks. Meeting is limited to15 people. For more information, email Vicky Hallberg at email@example.com.
4) Big Run Wolf Ranch will host a family day and open house from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the ranch, located at 14857 Farrell Road in Lockport. Come see eight wolves, a Siberian tiger, black bear, cougar, lynx and skunks. Other features include Mr. D’s Magic & Illusion Show featuring: Dirk Spence, food, gift shop, music and raffles. For more information, visit bigrunwolfranch.org.
5) PFLAG Homer Glen Lockport will host a “Pride in the Parking Lot Celebration” at 1 p.m. Sunday at Cross of Glory Lutheran Church, located at 14719 W. 163rd St. in Homer Glen. There will be music, food, games at this family friendly event. For more information, call 815-922-9717 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.