Police: Man tries to escape twice, from courthouse and jail

Highland Park sergeant injured when man elbowed him in head during incident

WAUKEGAN – A 29-year-old man was in custody after trying to escape from the Lake County Criminal Courthouse Tower and then again when he was taken to the Lake County Jail, police said.

About 1:45 p.m. Oct. 5, Anthony J. Cauley was attending a court hearing at the Lake County Criminal Courthouse Tower, 301 Washington St., Waukegan. Cauley was on bail, but had a court case management hearing regarding a previous arrest for aggravated battery to a peace officer, according to a news release.

During the court hearing, a Lake County judge ordered Cauley to be remanded back into custody for violating the conditions of his bail. Upon learning this information, Cauley fled out of the courtroom. A Lake County sheriff’s court security officer pursued Cauley on foot, as did a Highland Park police sergeant who happened to be in the same courtroom on another matter.

Cauley fled into the foyer just outside of the courtroom. He turned a corner in the hallway and ran directly at the Highland Park sergeant, elbowing the sergeant in the head, the release stated. The court security officer, along with several other court security officers, and the Highland Park sergeant were able to take Cauley into custody, according to the release.

Cauley was taken to an area hospital for a medical issue he developed after being taken into custody, the release stated. The Highland Park sergeant also was taken to an area hospital for the head injury he suffered when struck by Cauley, police said.

After reviewing the incident, the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office approved charges of escape (Class 2 felony) and aggravated battery to a peace officer (Class 2 felony). The judge who initially remanded Cauley into custody set no-bail on the remand.

Cauley was treated and released from the hospital and taken to the Lake County Jail by members of the Corrections Response Team, the release stated. Shortly after arriving at the jail, Cauley tried to escape from custody again by attempting to flee out a door that was opened so correctional officers could move a different inmate, the release stated. The door did not lead to the outside of the jail. Corrections officers were able to subdue Cauley before he reached another secure door, police said.

“This is an example of the unpredictable nature of what our staff encounters on a daily basis,” Sheriff John Idleburg said. “Battering a police officer is unacceptable, plain and simple. I am thankful the Highland Park sergeant was not seriously injured and thankful my staff was not injured.”