Courts in DeKalb and Kendall counties are pausing jury trials due to the increase in reported COVID-19 cases in both counties, according to court officials.
Twenty-third Judicial Circuit Chief Judge Robert Pilmer said in a Monday news release the pause in jury trials begins Monday and will continue until Feb. 1, 2021. He said in the news release the action is taken after consulting with judges in both counties and is being taken as a precaution.
"So far, we have been able to minimize the spread of the virus within our courthouses, but we want to ensure the continued safety and well-being of the citizens of both counties, as well as all courthouse personnel and employees," Pilmer said in the news release.
Pilmer said in the news release courts will not be reducing any other operations like was done earlier this year. He said in the release judges have made extensive use of remote court proceedings since March and will further increase the use of the technology to reduce the number of people who must enter the courthouses.