DeKalb man charged with kicking sheriff's deputy, threatening officers

SYCAMORE – A DeKalb man is facing charges after police say he assaulted a DeKalb County Sheriff's Deputy who went to check on him around 4:30 a.m. Thursday.

Mike Anthony Frank, 35, of the 1400 block of Farmstead Lane in DeKalb, is charged with aggravated battery to a police office, threatening a public official, failure to comply with his electronic home monitoring, resisting arrest and criminal damage to government property.

He appeared before DeKalb County Circuit Court Judge Robbin Stuckert Thursday for a bond hearing, in which his bail was set at $30,000. He'd need to post 10% of that to get out of jail, and Stuckert continued a secondary hearing on the DeKalb County State's Attorney's Office request to increase Frank's bail to Friday.

"I have no reasonable assurances that you would abide by the conditions of the release," Stuckert said.

According to DeKalb County court documents, a sheriff's deputy went to check on Frank around 4:30 a.m. Thursday because he'd cut off his electronic home monitoring bracelet, on which he'd been placed in April pending charges of escape.

When Frank arrived at the door, he told the deputy, "I know I [screwed] up," records show, and said he knew he was going to jail. The deputy told Frank to turn around and place his hands behind his back, at which point he was placed in handcuffs.

While the deputy was walking Frank to his squad car, Frank began resisting, pulling away from the officer and stating he'd outrun the officer. While in the squad car, Frank took his seat belt off while handcuffed and told the deputy if he didn't pull the car over he'd kick the window out.

When Frank attempted to kick the window out with no success, he began headbutting his head against the divider, and wiped his blood over the interior of the car. As the deputy diverted the car to Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital, Frank began yelling obscenities and threats.

Once at Kish, as officers were assisting hospital staff with Frank, he kicked one of them in the chest. Once he was discharged from the hospital, deputies again handcuffed Frank to take him to the DeKalb County Jail and he headbutted the inside squad car divider again.