Processing machine causes fire at McHenry company

Sprinkler system helped control fire, according to MTFPD

A processing machine caused a fire at PolyOne Corporation in McHenry over the weekend.

According to a news release from the McHenry Township Fire Protection District, crews were dispatched at 8:12 p.m. on Saturday for an activated fire alarm at 833 Ridgeview Drive in McHenry.

When they arrived at the scene, the responding personnel were able to enter the building using the Knox Box System key.

Firefighters used water pump cans and a dry chemical extinguisher to completely put out the fire before ventilating the building.

Because the corporation had an activated sprinkler system, the machine fire was controlled before fire crews arrived. The McHenry Township Fire Protection District said this prevented a more devastating outcome to the commercial business.

“This was a textbook example of exactly the manner that sprinklers are designed to work. The sprinkler system suppressed the main body of fire until the firefighters arrived and completely extinguished the fire," said MTFPD Fire Chief Tony Huemann. "The activation of the sprinkler system protected the business that produces plastic petroleum products that could have easily become out of control that would have destroyed the entire business and building.”

A damage estimate was not immediately available.

The MTFPD crews were assisted with auto aid from the Nunda Rural Fire Protection District and the Crystal Lake Fire Department, according to the news release.