FOX RIVER GROVE – A grease fire broke out at the New China restaurant on Route 14 about 4:45 p.m. Thursday, the restaurant’s owner said.
William Gee suffered a burn to his right hand when he tried to put the fire out. He estimated that 80 percent of his kitchen was damaged, and there is smoke damage in the restaurant.
There were no customers in the business at the time of the fire, and only eight employees. There were no other injuries, he said.
Several fire departments responded, and traffic on eastbound Route 14 in Fox River Grove was reopened about 6 p.m.
Fire department officials said the restaurant’s kitchen was gutted. They estimated New China suffered about $150,000 in damage.