Shaw Local

News   •   Sports   •   Obituaries   •   eNewspaper   •   Everyday Heroes   •   The Scene   •   175 Years
Local News

Housing officials may not move all families out of Fairview Homes until early spring

Housing officials work with Fairview Homes residents to help them move

Image 1 of 5

Moving families out of the Fairview Homes to make way for its demolition might take longer than expected.

In July, Housing Authority of Joliet officials announced that the demolition of the public housing community would start in November. However, the complete exodus of residents may not occur until late winter or early next spring, HAJ officials said.

Fairview Homes has about
158 households and roughly five of them have moved out, HAJ Chief Operating Officer Mark Jakielski said. Because of the large number of households, HAJ officials are helping residents leave in a three-phase project, he said.

The second phase kicked off last week and the third phase is projected to begin in late November, Jakielski said. In the first phase, HAJ officials worked with 45 households to prepare them to make the transition to the private housing market. Residents in the first phase are still looking for places for live, he said.

“This is like a moving clock. All the gears are moving at once,” Jakielski said.

The shootings and murders that have occurred at the Fairview Homes over the past year may have created a sense of urgency for some residents to want to leave soon.

On Oct. 1, Marcedes Flakes, 28, was stabbed to death in the street. On Aug. 11, officers found Eric Ervins, 24, in a parking lot bleeding from bullet wounds to his neck, face and torso.
The community also was the scene of two gun attacks in May. As many as
100 shots were reportedly fired in one of the attacks, which left a man wounded.

One resident who declined to be named said her time in the community has been “very bad” and that her home has been broken into five times. She said she plans to move somewhere in Will or DuPage counties.

“I’m ready to go, very much so,” she said.

Resident Robert Jelks said he’s had no problems living in the Fairview Homes, but it has been violent.

“It’s had its ups and downs,” Jelks said.

Both residents attended a meeting Thursday morning at the Fairview Community Center where they received Section 8 vouchers and a moving folder.

The Herald-News initially was allowed to attend the meeting until Michael Simelton, HAJ chief executive officer, said they could not. He said it was a “private meeting” where residents would discuss personal information.

Jakielski said HAJ officials have been working with a consultant to educate residents about living in the private rental market and seeking job opportunities.

When asked about the crime that’s often occurred at the Fairview Homes, such as the murder Oct. 1, Jakielski said it was unfortunate, but he “wouldn’t say it’s an excessive amount of crime.”

He said the project receives the same amount of police protection as anywhere else in the city. He said some problems are because of outsiders seeing opportunities to prey on single female heads of households.

Resident Carol Campbell said she’s been living in the Fairview Homes for 40 years. As with Jakielski, she said outsiders have been causing trouble in the community.

Campbell said she has some concerns about the voucher program and would like to know more about the transition process since it’s a whole new experience for her.

“I don’t like surprises,” she said.

Felix Sarver

Felix Sarver

Felix Sarver covers crime and courts for The Herald-News