SANDWICH - The Stone Mill Museum in Sandwich will be open from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays starting April 11. The Stone Mill, at the northwest corner of East Railroad and Lafayette streets, was built in 1856 and originally housed the Sandwich Steam Grist Mill, where 100 bags of wheat flour were produced each day.
The grist mill closed in 1892. It apparently was owned by several others before James Knights purchased the structure, then he deeded it to the Sandwich Historical Society for a museum.
The Stone Mill Museum opened in 1969 and has numerous items of interest, many from local homes and businesses. Native American collections are in the lower level, and items on three more floors include farm machine machinery, Civil War memorabilia, photographs of historical events and Sandwich Fair collections.
Admission to the museum is free, but donations are appreciated.
Learn more about local history at www.facebook.com/sandwichhistory.