Lockport man wrapped bungee cord around boy’s torso, police say

Man previously arrested over snowball fight, charges later dropped

A Lockport man was accused of scaring a boy and his mother when he wrapped a bungee cord around the child’s torso and told his mother that would “teach him to give me fries,” police said.

About 4 p.m. Sept. 4, the 11-year-old boy’s mother contacted the Lockport Police Department about the incident that occurred in a parking lot in the 1100 block of South State Street, Lockport Deputy Police Chief Ron Huff said.

Jerry Bacino, 65, of the 1800 block of Hamilton Street, was arrested Saturday on charges of disorderly conduct and misdemeanor battery in connection with the incident. He was released from the Will County jail the same day after posting $25,000 bond.

The boy’s mother told police that she and her son were standing by their vehicle in the parking lot eating when Bacino approached them and took a French fry from her son, Huff said.

When the boy offered the man more food, Bacino walked to his car, took out a bungee cord and wrapped it around the boy’s torso, Huff said.

“He told the juvenile’s mother that this would, “teach him to give me fries,’” Huff said.

The boy was able to free himself from the bungee cord, but Bacino’s actions scared him and his mother, Huff said. Bacino fled the scene when the mother yelled at him, he said.

“Officers were able to identify Bacino as the offender in this incident and obtained a warrant for his arrest for disorderly conduct and battery,” Huff said.

Prosecutors charged Bacino with making physical contact of an “insulting or provoking nature” by touching the boy “about the body” and putting a bungee cord around him “in such unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb” the boy, according to the criminal complaint.

Bacino was previously arrested on Jan. 12, 2020, after his involvement in a snowball fight with four juveniles in Lockport, Huff said.

“Bacino engaged in the snowball fight with the juveniles for a short time before picking up a 7-year-old male and grabbing onto a 4-year-old female,” Huff said.

Bacino released the children when another juvenile confronted him. He was later charged with battery and disorderly conduct.

Bacino’s case was up for jury trial on March 15 but prosecutors motioned for a continuance, court records show. Judge Victoria Breslan denied the motion and the charges were then dismissed.

Felix Sarver

Felix Sarver

Felix Sarver covers crime and courts for The Herald-News