Bridge construction on Interstate 180 continues into fall
By Kim Shute
HENNEPIN — Phase two of a $25 million three-year bridge construction project on Interstate 180 over the Illinois River is underway.
The bridge links Bureau County to Route 71 and to the industrial lands north of Hennepin.
Illinois Department of Transportation has been making repairs on the bridge which receives a large amount of truck traffic to and from the Marquis Energy ethanol plant north of Hennepin.
Helm Group, formerly Civil Constructors of Freeport will spend the summer into the fall reconstructing the bridge deck in the westbound lanes. Construction Engineer Kyle Videgar said the project is slated for completion by late fall or early winter of this year.
The company completed reconstruction of the eastbound bridge deck last year despite a somewhat later than expected opening because of Covid-related supply delays.
Crews are currently demolishing the existing westbound bridge deck, once demolition is completed forms will be set in place to pour the new deck Videgar said .
In 2022 the structural steel under the bridge will be repainted.
The project is 80% federally funded with the state picking up the remaining 20% Videgar said.