After a car crash, you don’t need to be a lawyer to know that one of the most important things to do is seek medical attention. Whether you are in an emergency room or your family doctor’s office later on, the Personal Injury Lawyers at offer six simple questions to ask your doctor after a car or truck accident.
- “How am I hurt?” Ask your doctor to explain your injuries. Don’t be afraid to ask more questions. For example, if your doctor explains you suffered a concussion, what does that mean? Are all concussions mild head injuries? Or are they traumatic brain injuries, or TBI? Even then, are they mild or severe? Just by talking more, your doctor will be able to listen to not just what you say but how you say it. This will help your doctor better understand whether you suffered a head injury that may otherwise go undiagnosed – and untreated.
- “How long will it take to heal?” Every injury is different, but your doctor may be able to give you an answer about how long recovery will take. If you understand what to expect, you can prepare to get the best result.
- “When can I work again?”
Ask your doctor whether you are able to physically and mentally perform your job. If they believe you cannot, they can write a note to restrict you to lighter work or time to recover.
- “Will pills help to ease the pain?”
If you feel moderate to extreme pain and suffering, your doctor may prescribe pain medication, steroids, or anti-inflammatory medication. For lacerations or abrasions, antibiotics may prevent infection.
- “Should I see a specialist or get a second opinion?”
Today’s medical professionals often specialize in specific areas of practice. If you have a brain injury, you may require a consult with a neurologist, while an injury to your neck or back may be best treated by an orthopedist.
- “Can you see it on the screen?” Many car accident injuries, from traumatic brain injuries to ankle fractures, can best be diagnosed and treated after the patient receives medical imaging such as MRI, X-Ray, or CT Scans. Ask your doctor to read your images to you so you can learn how your body has been hurt, what to expect and how to heal.
The Trial Lawyers at Pignatelli & Associates, PC have more than forty years’ experience. We strive to achieve extraordinary results, results few are able to obtain. We have recovered more than $90 million for our clients in personal injury, car and truck accident, medical malpractice and wrongful death cases. We fight for injured workers. We defend the wrongfully accused. Legal questions? We have answers – and get results.