MT. MORRIS - A spark from a rotary saw is likely the cause of a fire at the former Quad Graphics Printing and Kable Printing plant, the fire chief said.
Firefighters received a report of large amounts of black smoke coming from the roof of 404 S. Wesley Ave. around 4:31 p.m. Thursday, and found heavy smoke coming from the roof and several doorways on the southeast corner of the building, Chief Rob Hough said in a news release.
The workers were evacuated and no one was injured. The fire was under control by 5:37 p.m. and firefighters cleared the scene at 7:37 p.m.
“The structure is undergoing renovation and the loss was minimal,” Hough said. “The most probable area of origin was Roto Press Room 5. The most probable cause was workers using rotary saws to remove printing ink piping caused a spark and ignited residual ink in the piping.”
Byron, Oregon and Polo firefighters assisted.