Local News

Firefighters respond to smoke at Grand Bear in Utica; electrical panel causes issue

Employees evacuated as firefighters responded

UTICA — Firefighters from six different companies were dispatched Wednesday morning to Grand Bear Resort in Utica after smoke was reported in the lobby, but firefighters confirmed the smoke was coming from an electrical panel.

Utica Fire Chief Ben Brown said at 10:15 a.m. the emergency personnel had narrowed the source of smoke “to a very small area.” Flames were not spotted.

Grand Bear employees were told to evacuate.

At 10:25 a.m., Brown and crews cleared the scene. Utica, La Salle, Peru, Wallace, Tonica and Oglesby firefighters responded.