Morris girls soccer sneaks past Coal City

Coalers first team to score more than one goal vs. Redskins

MORRIS – The records of the two teams were drastically different heading into Monday’s nonconference girls soccer matchup featuring Morris and Coal City.

Morris entered with a 5-1 mark and had not allowed more than one goal in a game all year. Coal City, meanwhile, came in with a 1-9 record, although they had been playing better lately.

Coal City managed to become the first team to score more than once against Morris, but the Redskins were able to come away with a 3-2 victory.

“We are coming off a two-week quarantine,” Morris coach Steve Rain said. “We were a little rusty and our timing was off. We had no games, no practice, nothing. That was tough considering the momentum we had built up winning five out of six games.

“Give credit to Coal City. They out-hustled us tonight and were the first team to score more than one goal against us. We lost a lot of 50/50 balls, but the last 20 minutes or so, things started to come together and we kept the ball in their half of the field.”

Morris (6-1) scored the game’s first goal when Payton Lewis found the net off an assist from Fran Cummings with 31:49 to play in the first half. Coal City (1-10) tied it five minutes later when Cara Planeta scored unassisted at the 26:50 mark of the first half. The Coalers took the lead with 8:01 to play in the first half on a goal by Chloe Johnson before Morris’ Lauren Shear scored with 5:19 to tie it at 2. The score remained 2-2 at halftime.

Morris secured the winning goal with 14:52 to play when Karrina Riley scored on a penalty kick. Morris finished with an 18-8 advantage in shots on goal.

“We’ve played well the last three or four games, but we haven’t been able to eke out a win,” Coal City coach Todd Painter said. “We let a couple of squeaker type of goals get in, but when you have rain on an artificial turf field, anything can happen.

“We did some things right tonight. I am proud of how hard our girls played. It was a one-goal game and we fought right to the end.”

Rob Oesterle

Rob has been a sports writer for the Morris Herald-News and Joliet Herald-News for more than 20 years. He is currently also writing news for the Morris Herald-News.