BATAVIA – The Batavia Chamber of Commerce celebrated the new ownership of the historic Batavia Popcorn Depot with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on June 3.
According to a news release from the Chamber, Batavia resident Talitha Mueller bought the shop, which dates back to 1929, last spring. It’s located at 1 N. Water St.
Mayor Jeffery Schielke presided over the celebration, along with Mueller and her husband Dave Mueller. Other attendees included Chamber staff and members, along with other city officials. A member of Batavia Boy Scout Troop 6, Robert-George Merrill, organized and built planter boxes for the business as an Eagle Scout project, the release stated.
The Batavia Popcorn Depot originated in 1929 by two 12-year-old Batavians, Buddy Anderson and Normie Freedlund, who with the help of their fathers built the stand, the release stated. Through the years, the stand’s owners, location, and the name has changed, but the one thing that remains constant is Batavia’s love of popcorn and the historic stand, the release stated.
Menu choices include the original white corn, caramel corn, cheese corn, a mix of caramel and cheese corn, or the “BOB” caramel and white mix.
Summer hours for the Batavia Popcorn Depot are Wednesday – Sunday from 5 to 9 p.m.
Catering and private orders are available upon request and other popup hours are likely. Find out the latest, including special musical events, by following their Facebook page, facebook.com/Batavia-Popcorn-Depot-112596733735385. To place a private catering order, call 773-425-0532, send a Facebook message, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.