1 dead, 1 in critical condition after shooting in Huntley

Shooting took place on Morning Glory Lane in Huntley

HUNTLEY – A 48-year-old man has died following a domestic shooting, and his brother – believed to be the shooter – remained in critical condition Tuesday morning, police said.

The siblings' mother, who was grazed in her head by a bullet in the Memorial Day domestic dispute at 11469 Morning Glory Lane, was treated and released from Advocate Sherman Hospital in Elgin, hospital spokeswoman Tonya Lucchetti-Hudson said.

Police were still piecing together early Tuesday what happened the night before. An autopsy was expected later in the day for Robert A. Grundei, formerly of Coral Springs, Florida, who died of a gunshot wound to the head and shoulder, Deputy Chief Michael Klunk said.

Grundei's brother, Mark, 50, was in critical condition at Advocate Sherman Hospital from a gunshot wound to the head, which police said was likely self-inflicted.

Authorities hadn't made a final determination but expected Mark Grundei was the lone shooter, Klunk said Tuesday.

"It's leaning more toward that way but we can't confirm or deny as of yet," he said.

The shooting occurred during an argument at the house, where Mark lived with the men's mother, Alyce Grundei, police said.

Klunk said that Mark and Robert Grundei never got along.

Robert Grundei was staying at the house because their younger brother, Brian Grundei, who was in his 40s, drowned earlier this month in Lake County.

Alyce Grundei called for help about 5:10 p.m. and said there were gunshot victims, and shots still were being fired, said Police Chief John Perkins.

Officers had to enter the house with their weapons drawn, Perkins said. When they arrived, they met Alyce Grundei at the front of the house. The woman was holding a gun – a .38 special revolver, which police took from her – and had an eye injury and was bleeding from the head, according to the release.

Officers performed CPR on Robert Grundei when they arrived at the scene. Firefighters from the Huntley Fire Protection District also came to the scene to treat all three people.

Nobody else was in the home at the time of the incident.

Monday, as police investigated, yellow police tape surrounded the house. Some neighbors in the cul-de-sac watched from across the street.

"There's nobody at large, and really there's no threat to the community," Perkins said.

Perkins added the police are in the early stages of the investigation.

Klunk said charges are likely to be filed.

The house had recently been sold, and the Grundeis were planning on moving out within a few weeks.

Alyce Grundei is staying with family since being released from the hospital, Klunk said.

Shawn Shinneman contributed to this report.